Saturday, December 13, 2008

WARM!!!!

The furnace was done yesterday. We were thrilled. I really wanted to kiss the three technicians that took 6 hours each when it was complete and there was finally warm air in my bathrooms. I can't tell you the difference it makes to have your whole house a nice cozy temp. I feel really blessed, especially that the originally 5K job was all covered by the home warranty.

Having said that I am awake at 3 am furious. Why? The repair man cracked open said furnace and let me look inside. There were cracks and pinhole throughout. He could not figure out how this furnace had not been fatal to my family (I only figure it is the drafty windows that defiantly need to be replaced). We all had had symptoms of carbon monoxide for the couple of weeks we ran it. My gripe is that the furnace had the all important GREEN sticker just last December. We had 2 separate companies come out and look at it before it was replaced. BOTH companies said there was no way that this furnace did not have this damage last winter. I guess I am angry my little family could have all slipped away in their sleep (although that may not have been a horrible way to go). I really want to do something and that is where you come in. I don't want any sort of restitution, I just want the company from last December that put that Green security blanket sticker on that furnace to know what their slacker practices are doing. There is no way they even looked in that furnace before slapping a green sticker on it. Should I just call and try to talk to the owner, maybe mention that he not only almost killed us but he also missed a 5K sale? Maybe "get Gephardt"? Just send angry mail? Just tell all my friends and have them tell their friends to NEVER use them? Is it illegal to publish their names so you can avoid them? OR should I just thank God that we are alive and well with a free new furnace and go back to bed? (now are you seeing why I have preeclampsia?)

P.S. Thank you for all your ideas and wishes on the preeclampsia/ diabetes thing. I wound up in the hospital the other day with high BP. Come to find out I wasn't great at taking them myself. Lee has taken over after a little training. With the new diet I have been able to bring my BP down to 115/62 (GREAT) and my blood sugar in the normal range. I am hoping to not only carry this baby to term but not have to resort to meds. Thank you for helping with my endeavor. I feel much better.

P.S.S. (does that exist?) The company that did the work on the furnace in the end was Rentmeister. We LOVE them and would totally recommend them as trusted HVAC people should a need arise.

10 comments:

The Firths said...

My question is what do you want the end result to be? Do you want the previous company to remedy their faulty practices? Do you want them to go out of business? Figure out what you want to have happen (knowing that there isn't a wrong answer) and that will determine the actions you take. Goal first, things to reach the goal second.

Amara said...

Whoever The Firths are had a great comment. My goal would be that nobody else would be at risk from them in the future. Didn't you have an inspection done on the house too? Whoever that guy was looks pretty rotten too.

jamirodana said...

I'm so glad you are warm again!
As for the mess. I definitely would call the company and talk to the manager/owner. I don't know how far you should go. I would be super mad too.
I'm glad you all are ok.

Shawnee said...

I would contact the company just to prevent this from happening to other people. That sort of stuff is too scary.

Unknown said...

I'm just so THRILLED and RElieved that you guys are warm again and in a happy healthy home. Be sure to take care of yourself, baby and My Mr. Keats. We love you guys and would fall apart if anything were to ever happen to any of you!!!!!! Congratulations on the warm air!!

belann said...

It is worth a call to the manager of the company. Beyond that it is too much stress for you at this point.

Amy said...

I am glad you are warm again! I was so worried that if that kept up with this snow you would freeze in your sleep. I would do what is necessary to get them to not make that error again when green stickering a furnace. Good luck!

Linda said...

Wow! That's scarry! I'm glad you have a new furnance now! Pregnant mommies don't need anything else to worry about! Good luck with the new gestational diabetes diet! A few missed Christmas treats won't even matter when you see your beautiful healthy little girl!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.