Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Jan fav finds

Here are my fav finds for Jan

First I need to tell you about an "urban legend" I got as an e-mail from my friend Jen a few months ago. It said that to cure kids night coughing to rub Vicks vaporub on their feet. I kinda scoffed at the whole thing, but one night in desperation I tried it. For Keaton when he has a cough night is the worst and NOTHING has ever cut through it. I though what the hey, I have bought 100 cough syrups none of which works I might as well try it. You take the vicks and rub it into their feet. Then you cover their feet with socks. Within 5 minutes the coughing is gone and he is good for the rest of the night. I don't have any scientific explanation just my own studies.

Second I would have to say we have been hanging out a lot at the SLC Childrens museum. It is a fabulous place that is geared for kids. They have a little kid sized village, a real helicopter for kids to "drive", and tons of different block sets to name a few things. This is a must checkout for anyone with a toddler at home.
Lastly, this month Keaton had a heck of a diaper rash that he got from me trying to get away with cheap diapers. My friend Dana is an Arbonne consultant and let me try some of their diaper cream. Between Luvs and the cream this screaming rash was gone within 24 hours. Actually, I didn't know he had the rash even up his back. I didn't put the cream there and it is still rashy.

As a bonus here is a wonderful recipe we tried this month:

Yam and black bean burritos

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups cooked black beans
2 cups water
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
4 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
3 tablespoons soy sauce
4 cups cooked and mashed yams
12 whole wheat tortillas
1 cup shredded cheese
Saute onion and garlic in oil. Add beans and water (to desired consistency) and head until warm. Take off burner and add spices, mustard, cayenne, and soy sauce.Assemble burrito: On warmed tortilla put a thin layer of yams, a dollop of beans, a coating of cheese. Wrap and garnish with salsa and sour cream/plain yogurt. Serves 12 (so you can cut it 1/2)

3 comments:

jamirodana said...

Ok, I will have to try the yam burritos! Yummy!

Team Box! said...

Hey!!
That looks so yummy I'm gonna try that. Yeah the vicks rub on their feet works so great, bentley has bronchialitis and I am living for that right now!

Rachie said...

A spoonful of honey works for coughs too. I use it all the time for the twins.

I will have to try the vapor rub too.