Thursday, November 13, 2008

Failures

Well we are potty training failures. Probably more me then Keaton. He won't even sit on the potty. We have tried it all treats, bribes, toys, cute underwear... etc. etc. This friend suggested that I try to only let him watch TV when he is sitting on his little potty. Well, he decided a week ago that he loves his diapers way more then he loves TV. I can't believe he has held out for a week, NO TV!!!! I hate TV so I am thrilled. He doesn't even ask anymore. So when friends brag that their 3 year old is potty trained can I brag my kid gave up TV for diapers (or is that more embarassing)?


P.S. In unrelated news I can't help but share this cute picture of my one year old twin nieces. They were fighting over the same blankie until they both fell asleep mid struggle. Pretty funny.

8 comments:

Laurel said...

He'll get it...everyone says that you never see a kindergardener in a diaper, but T's brother wore one until he was 5 1/2 so you never know. Oh, wait am I suppose to be reassuring? Well right now I'm just going for funny :)

Don't worry he'll get it...he's a smart kid...

Tif said...

Potty training is my least favorite thing. Hang in there.

The no TV thing is pretty cool though. I'm all for less TV for kids.

lesley said...

Start a count down. Tell him when the diapers are gone they are gone. Then neither of you can change your mind. Plan a few days at home and plan on cleaning a lot! Andrew (did) and Abigail gets a reward (candy, sticker or whatever) for staying dry. they have to decide if they want to sit on the potty or not. Here is the intense version of it I got from a friend. You take them into the bathroom every 10 minutes to check if they are dry, if they are they get an M&M, then if they choose to sit on the potty and go they get another one. That is how I did it with Andrew. Abigail is kind of being forced to train herself. We will see how long it takes. I just don't have the energy for any intense training right now!

The Firths said...

Money...Emma got money that she could put in her bank every time she sat on the potty and every time she went. We also just took away the diapers and told her that she was a big girl and didn't need them anymore. We even let her pick out her own panties... It was a rough week, but for her that was about it. Don't worry Keaton will get it. Jen

Anonymous said...

I love your blog Kira. I just subscribed. And it's hard for me to admit but my boys were all closer to 4 when they finally go potty-trained. And hey, giving up TV? What a great bonus!

Amy said...

No advice...just good luck! The pictures of your nieces is adorable!

Unknown said...

Well, that is just hilarious! Sorry the TV idea didn't work out as planned...boy was it a life-saver for me! Although, my little GIRL didn't do the potty thing until she was 3 1/2!!!! And they say girls are easier...well, they haven't met mine!!!

Garret said...

Good luck on your potty training. It's hard for adults to adjust to the whole toilet thing after living in a cave for so many years. I wouldn't call yourselves failures. You have had over 30 years of practice.