Friday, February 20, 2009

How we met


My darling sis-in-law asked for our "how we met" story to include in a paper she is doing for school. I thought I probably should record it somewhere for our records. Right now I have PLENTY of time so I thought I would write it out. Thanks for indulging me :) Lee and I met the Spring of '04. I had gone through another lonely Christmas (come to find out later Lee went looking due to a rough Christmas too). I had great fun, went to great parties, had a great job, traveled with my best friend Mindie but after everything I went home alone. Mindie and I decided that we would try LDSSO.com (an online dating site). We didn't have a whole lot of hope since it didn't necessarily work out great the last time we did it but we thought what the heck. For some reason this time I hit the jackpot. In January I went out with 15 guys. I really liked a lot of them and went out TONS. I was having a great time. I went to Seattle to meet a guy, met up with a guy in San Fran, and in Vegas (I took girlfriends with me, don't worry). I was at my brother Garrets house in CA after I went to Seattle. I was perusing the site and I saw Lee.....actually I really just saw his HUGE muscly arms :) I cyber-winked at him. He wrote me back right away. We wrote back and forth a couple of times and he asked me for my number. I gave it to him. He called while I was on a date cuddled up with some guy watching a movie. I saw the caller i.d. and really wanted to answer but waited till after the date. My Grandpa had died that day and I was feeling a little blue so I called Lee back that night to see if he would be interesting to cheer me up. Lee was charming and asked me out for that Sat. at 3pm. I thought the time was weird, but oh well. I gave Lee my address to pick me up (I had NEVER done that before, online dating rule #1). He came and I was immediately interested in this tall strong guy. He took me to Fridays to split a dessert. At the time I really liked the Dixie Chicks and he spent most of the date making fun of them. He also told me he was from Vernal, I was horrified. I had dated a guy from Vernal before and it was a DISASTER and had sworn off those "country folks". The VERY best part of our first date though was that the ENTIRE time he kept looking at his watch. I then knew why we were meeting at 3....he double booked! Me being the smarty that I am knew the score and called him on it. Lee being the all too honest type admitted to the other date and that he had a date the night before.

Lee dropped me off and gave me a hug. I thought I would never hear from him again until he said, "I really wish I did not have that other date and I could stay here with you". THEN he proceeded to tell me how he doesn't kiss girls until he dates them for MONTHS. HAHAHA I knew then he WANTED to kiss me. I snickered as I shut the door.

Lee called the next day. I knew how to get guys going so I asked him about growing up as a farmers son and particularly about the irrigation. He went on and on for 45 minutes about irrigation. He then asked me when he could see me again. I told him I had my Grandpas funeral the next 2 nights but I could see him Thurs. night. I had tickets to the Opera and I was upset with the guy I was seeing the most over his lack of sympathy about my Grandpa so I said Lee could come with me (on a side note Lee had called everyday to see how I was doing with my Grandpas death). The Opera was magical. He put his arm around me, I put my hand on his knee, he rubbed my shoulder, I kissed his finger tips.....pure magic. On the way home I offered him a heart shaped breath mint. He took that as a "sign" with the "kiss me eyes" he said I shot him and we kissed on the second date (which makes his "speech" on our first date hilarious). We were inseparable after that. I loved everything about Lee. It was not too many dates after that when we said "I love you". It wasn't that much after that that we set a Temple date (he said October, I thrilled him by saying NO August :). We have had trials in our marriage but our relationship has not been one of them. I really met the one for me. I couldn't imagine life without Lee.

P.S. Please take the time to record your "how we met" on your Blog. I would love to read them!

8 comments:

Laurel said...

That was fun to read...it takes me back to our fun single days.

I am glad things are going better with the baby. You've been in our prayers.

Unknown said...

Awww! I LOVE hearing the "how we met" stories! It's just so fun!

Tif said...

Such a sweet story. So glad you shared it. You and your little one are in my prayers.

Natalie said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog to say hi! I read your whole story and loved it. I agree with you -- that's definitely something to be recorded. I posted our story on my other blog last september for our 5th anniversary. It still makes me cry when I read it.

I wish you all the luck in the world when your little girl makes her appearance! Girls are so fun! If I lived closer, I'd bring some "barf bag cookies" over to you to celebrate!

Amy said...

What a sweet story! Isn't it great when you just feel great about the relationship right away? I love that feeling.

The Firths said...

So, we hope that things are better today. Hopefully, the contractions have stopped. My question is what is special about Thursday? Anyway, let us know how things are and if there is anything we can do...

Kira said...

Thurs. is 35 weeks. That is the magic # where they no longer worry as much about premies (just the mama's continue to worry :). My personal goal is 36 weeks. Keaton was born then and was perfect.

belann said...

Sure glad Lee joined our family. We love him.