Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Lost....and FOUND


I lost my little Keaton today. Just like that I turned around and he was gone. We had gone to the park with a few friends and I could see all of them...no Keaton. Can I say I lost it? I have never really misplaced a child. I couldn't imagine he would go off by himself without being a pied piper and taking some buddies with him. I was sure one of the lurking weirdos walked off with him. I called and called and called for him and went from one area of the play area to the other looking for him with tears in my eyes and panic in my chest. Poor Savannah could feel my panic and she started to fuss right along with me. My cousins wife jumped up and stared looking too. I just couldn't think straight about my options...call 911 (does that count as a life and death emergency?), organize a search party with the 200 other moms at the park that day, WHAT? Sure enough within 5 minutes Keaton wandered back over to his chips and salsa (I brought enough for everyone....he thought I only brought enough for him). When I asked him where he was: "I was in the castle, why did you not look in the castle?" Cleary HE was not concerned (although after he felt my concern he stayed pretty near the rest of the time).
I think every so often one of these terrifying moments are good for us mama's it helps us appreciate these precious moments even more. Keaton got extra hugs, extra kisses tonight, even 3 extra bed time songs....just in case :)

9 comments:

Lynn said...

I remember when we lost Ted at the beach. That boy would just wander off. He was found a mile down the beach. Aunt Katherine had the kids at the beach and never got over losing Ted. We still give him a hard time. He would do the same thing at the zoo. Wander off and not even think of where he was.

Linda said...

We lost my niece at the Zoo last week...my sister was freaking out! We started back tracking and sure enough she had just stopped walking and was calmly waiting for us to figure it out!

Amy said...

I think singing extra bedtime songs should count toward your long term food storage. Just in case.

Glad everyone was fine! :)

belann said...

Nothing scares a mother more. It's too bad we are conditioned to think the worst.

Tif said...

Oh, I hate those moments! The sick feeling in the pit of your stomach, the frantic scanning back and forth of the area, the silent prayers pleading with Heavenly Father.

I'm so glad that you found him!

Unknown said...

OMG! I didn't realize it was that bad, Kira! I'm so sorry I left while you were in your panic! That happened to us at Discovery Gateway and it was a good 20 minutes before Isaac was found. It's the most terrifying feeling in the world!!! I'm so glad he was found!

Hansen Family said...

Oh that is probably the worst feeling on the planet!! Your words helped me when I lost Nathan - so I hope this little comment helps. You are still a great mom with two beautiful children!!

Deja said...

I love what he said: "Why did you not look in the castle?!" That's so Keaton.

Sorry he scared you. That has got to be awful. I thought we lost the Meatsock kitty yesterday, and that was bad enough.

My phone broke, by the way. Got a new fancy one. I'll call you back sometime today.

The Firths said...

Glad he was safe and sound. Sorry about the scare. Not a fun time for any parent.