Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Short term memory

With the whole recession I have found a lot of comfort lately in learning how to make as much as I can myself. It gives me comfort that if I needed to we could survive fairly well on my food storage. This week I am trying yogurt from scratch. I consulted with my friend Tiffany since I have gathered it is a pretty tricky process. Tiffany gave me some great tips. The best tip was on how to keep the temperature at 100 degrees while it "cures". She said that she found it best to put it in her oven and turn it on to 350 or whatever and let it pre-heat for exactly a minute then turn it off, she then repeated every hour. She commented that when she did this she had to set her timer since with her 4 kids her attention span sometimes isn't that long :) I smiled and decided I would do the same....just in case. Oh, how excited I was as I watched the yogurt thicken each hour. I carefully followed Tiffany's direction and was excited about the yogurt we were going to have for breakfast with my homemade granola. I would slice some kiwi's and mango's with it...yum. I followed the process for 7 hours it was looking almost perfect. I thought one more hour and I would have perfected it on my first try....sigh.....you know how this turns out. I turned the oven back on, set the timer and finished dinner. The timer went off. I thought....hmm....what was that timer for? I figured I had set it to motivate Keaton somehow. I set off to find Keaton. Of course he was into something so I got totally distracted. An hour later I remembered my yogurt.... boiling.... dead. SO I figure I will try it again sometime. This time I guess I will have to set the timer 2x for 30 seconds each :)

Savannah was not excited to "try" the yogurt :)

5 comments:

Amara said...

I wonder if you had an electric blanket you could set to 100 degrees that would work? Or maybe a reptile lamp from the pet store? That turning the oven off and on would be impossible to remember for me too.

Kira said...

Am, a heat pad was recommended. I was looking to use what I had.

belann said...

That would really bug after watching it closely for 7 whole hours. I would cry.

Tif said...

Oh Kira! I'm SO sorry. That is such a bummer.

Don't give up. I know when I make a mistake like that it usually only takes once before I am really good at remembering. :)

I've heard that you can leave your oven light on and it keeps the oven warm enough and that way you don't have to worry about keeping the oven warm on your own. I find that mine doesn't get warm enough with the light, but it may be worth a try for you.

Better luck next time.

Unknown said...

What a bummer.