Sunday, December 12, 2010

Waiting for 2010 to END!

I thought about writing a Christmas letter I really did. I was worried it would turn out to be the most depressing Christmas letter in history though. Between 4 hospital stays, 2 surgeries (one emergency), Lee's job turning crummy, $2700 in repairs on our rental house in Dec (they just submitted another leak today), moving out of state and leaving our lovely home, family and friends, and capping it all by being hit by a semi and totalling the van we are thinking we can't wait for 2011! We can truly say though that we have been blessed through it all. Keaton's arm healed beautifully, Savannah is on a great maintenance medicine now that is keeping her out of the hospital, we had cash for the home repairs (although I could have thought of a better way to spend it), Lee got a great new job he loves, and we all walked away from a horrific accident (truly a gift from God).
SO....let's tell about our adventures for the week!

Lee's Aunt died on the 3rd. She had been battling cancer courageously for years and she was finally called home. She was an intelligent kind woman that we were thrilled to call family. We went to Boise this last Friday for the funeral. It was a great service (great speakers that gave great tributes to a deserving lady). That night Lee's Uncle graciously had a dinner for family and close friends at his private club. Most of the families with kids had to leave but Lee and I went with our kids (only one other kid was there out of 40 people). This was a lovely fine dining club that would have been a fabulous experience....had I been alone :) I knew we were in trouble when Keaton took all his silverware, Lee's and mine and started building log cabins. He loved the split pea soup and I stopped him right before he started licking his bowl. He kept dropping silverware and climbed under to get it...each time bumping the elegant table. Once dinner came I couldn't get Savannah enough of my rice pilaf so she started taking it off LEE'S UNCLES PLATE?!?!? He was gracious enough to feed her some of his rice....then she went for his salmon :( Keaton decided to lay down on the floor...he was tired. This is just the highlights. I think by the time dinner was over I was a shaking pile of nerves!

We did get to see lots of cousins though! This is Aspen. She is highly dedicated to getting Savannah to be her friend. Savannah complied after much effort. Yea Aspen!

Last week we went to the Toppenish Train Museum Christmas. It was pretty cool. They had about 30 miniature trains set up. Many of the trains the kids could operate.


Then you climbed on this old train to ride to the "North Pole" to see Santa on another train. I thought it was pretty funny that the "North Pole" was located in a junk yard....but whatever the kids had fun. We were the last family to see Santa. He had to use the restroom (doesn't Santa have magic for that?) so he was pretty short with the kids (which was all right by Savannah since she mostly just cared about the candy cane :).

The big highlight of our week though was Sat. night on our way home. The weather was bad and the roads were slick. Lee was in the "faster" lane and going about 30. All of the sudden the semi next to him started sliding over. Lee had nowhere to go. We hit the semi on my side and a tow truck on his side. I have never been so sure I had seen the end as when I saw that semi collide into me. According to the patrolman on the scene we should be dead or seriously injured. The tow truck driver said if we had hit just a bit more to the left his boom would have gone into the windshield killing Lee. If we were a bit ahead I would have been under the semi's tires. We all walked away. The kids were totally fine. We were blessed by God's grace. Our ward church family has also been so good to us. They sent someone to pick us up, when we got home there were guys taking care of our driveway and the 6 inches of snow, they brought us a treat and dinner for tonight. So, once again I have to say 2010 was the best of times...and the worst of times. Here is hoping for a better 2011!!!

7 comments:

Amara said...

Yuck. I'd just sit alone in my room shaking after that experience. I'm sure glad you guys are all OK. Makes me want to finally make my "Will" just reading this story. Goodness.

Tif said...

Oh Kira! I'm so sorry. It can only get better right?!?!? You and your family will be in my prayers.

Unknown said...

HOLY FREAKIN' COW! I can't say that enough Kira! I seriously believe you were all being protected. You and your family are too special!!!!! Especially special to me. I'm counting down till we get to see you in May. Seriously. (Tears rolling down my face right now) I just want to give you a big hug!!! Here's to a Fantastic 2011!!!

Deja said...

That made me cry. I'm glad you guys are okay. So so glad.

t5winmom said...

My friend, you have the best tongue-in-cheek attitude ever! I love to read your play-by-plays... & ESPECIALLY that you are still alive & able to write them! This will be a great teaching lesson for the kids - we talk about the blessings from our first (& now 2nd) accident, & how Heavenly Father is ABSOLUTELY watching over us & answering our prayer. Big hug!!

For His Glory said...

Wow Praise God you are all okay. I have tears in my eye's. To know that you and the family were safe, Im sure all the rest seems to be a distant memory. It will get better!
I loved hearing about the kids at the dinner. That is so funny, kids just being kids. Savannah and the rice LOL.

belann said...

Sure makes the mom want to cry. It just has to get better. Just has to.