Friday, April 18, 2008

Berry Bliss





So.... never being one to pass up a deal, I bought 2 flats of Strawberries this week for...4.99 each. Being one to never be second best....I made 6 types of jam, 35 jars out of the berries. I guess I was just curious what was the best recipe for Strawberry jam. I also froze 5 pounds and we are eating through 2. I guess I had no idea exactly how much a flat of Strawberries is. SO.... in case you were wondering, here is what I found. Keaton's favorite was a very easy freezer jam called Banana Split Jam click HERE to get the recipe. I liked the flavor of THIS Canadian cooked jam. Lee liked the twist in THIS Pineapple-Strawberry jam, and we were all pretty big fans of this low sugar one:

3 large bananas
3 cups crushed strawberries
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 pouch pectin
pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Put bananas on a baking sheet in the oven for 15 minutes. Cool, peel, crush. Measure 1 cup of banana (i just threw the rest in too). mix with berries and sugar in a medium bowl. Let stand 15 minutes. Mix in pectin for 3 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Put in jars, label and freeze.

I guess in the end Keaton and I came to one conclusion....Strawberries and sugar....YUM!

7 comments:

The Firths said...

You are very industrious! Hope all is well on your end of things. Well, with berries and sugar, it really doesn't get much better.

Chris and Tara said...

I am so impressed with your homemaking skills. I remeber as a teenager vowing that I would never bottle or can anything (I think I was being forced to help can tomatoes at the time) but now that I'm older and more mature...okay, a little more mature... I think I would like to try it sometime. I'll have to try one of your many recipes :)

Unknown said...

That just sounds so yummy. You don't, by chance, have any of the nutrition info on the low-sugar jam?

jamirodana said...

Wow, what is the shelf life of those jams? You could have years of food storage made in one day. :)
I need to make jam. Where is the cheapest place to buy jars?
Nice work Kira and Keaton.

Kira said...

The low-sugar one I need to post on recipezaar and then it will give me the info. I am not sure though otherwise. Dana, you can get bottles at DI. Usually they have tons of them. I have used mine for over 10 years. They never go bad. So, the initial investment is maybe a bit but it is a one time thing.

Kira said...

Also, they say jam lasts a year. We have used it for up to 2 and it has been totally fine.

Amy said...

Kira, not a day goes by that something you say or do amazes me! We are doing our garden this year and I am so intimidated by canning and stuff. I know it is good though so I will have to buckle down and learn! Love ya!