Friday, September 12, 2008

Microwave Granola

So I guess I am cooking again, after a short hiatus :) Today I made peach jam out of more of the peaches off the neighbors branch in my yard, and microwave granola. Granola is so pricey I needed to figure an option. This was better then store bought, easy and about a 1/3 the price.

Peach Jam (no pricey pectin!!! 1/2 the sugar!!!!)
10 cups crushed peaches
5 cups sugar
3 tsp lemon juice
Mix all together. Let sit for an hour in glass bowl. Bring to boil. Boil for 25 minutes, exactly. Process as usual. How easy is that?!?!

Microwave Granola
(I wish I could remember what blog I got this off of. If you recognize it let me know)
3 cups oats
1/3 cup wheat germ (I used 1/2 cup)
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup sesame seeds or flax seeds
1/3 cup chopped nuts (I chopped them pretty fine)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/3 cup oil, or melted butter or margarine
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup raisins
Place oats in ungreased micro safe dish. Cook in micro full power for 2 1/2 minutes (3 for double batch).
Add wheat germ, coconut, sesame seeds, nuts, br. sugar, and Cinnamon to oats. Stir to blend.
Add oil, honey, and vanilla. Toss to coat. Cook in micro level 7 for 6 minutes stirring 2x (or 3 -3 minutes for double).
Add raisins (or any other dried fruit). Cook on full power 2 minutes (3 for double). Press against dish. Cool. Break in pieces store in airtight container.
The whole time make sure you watch for hot spots. You don't want it to burn. You will be amazed at how yummy and toasty this turns out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Process the jam as usual??? I'm such a novice, I don't know what you're talking about!!! Yikes. Both recipes sound divine, though! Glad to hear you're back in the kitchen, too!!!
Hugs~Lisa

Kira said...

To process jam you heat fresh lids in warm water on the stove. You then put them on clean rimmed jars. Each jar needs to be boiled submerged in water for 10 minutes.... or call me and we can do it together :)