Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Peach Custard


My peaches are perfect and plentiful right now. I found this recipe on the Pimp my dinner Blog. It is a lot of work for ice cream but WONDERFUL! My Cuisinart ice cream maker only took about 1/2 the mix so I will make the rest tomorrow :)
1 Qt. Milk (I used skim so any should do)
1 1/4 C. Sugar, divided
1/2 tsp. Salt
4 eggs
2 14oz cans of sweetened condensed milk ( I used Fat Free)
3-4 large peaches, peeled and diced
In a large sauce pan, bring milk up to 175 degrees; stir in 1 cup of sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk eggs separately. Add a small amount of hot milk mixture to the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.Cook and stir over low heat until it reaches 160 degrees and coats the back of a metal spoon.Quickly cool by placing the pan in a bowl of ice water for 2 minutes. Stir in sweetened condensed milk and cover with plastic wrap, making sure to press it to the surface of the custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.When ready to freeze, mash peaches with the remaining sugar in a small bowl and let it stand for about 30 minutes. Add to the custard mixture and prepare according to your ice cream maker's instructions. When finished allow to harden in the freezer before serving.

3 comments:

jamirodana said...

That looks fantastic! You will have to have us over to eat some soon.
I'm sorry about your friend who passed away. I don't know how I would live without Jake.

Amy said...

yummy that looks so delicious! I was wondering..oh amazing Kira, would you be willing sometime to teach Lisa and I how to reapholster a chair?

Kira said...

Amy, I would love to. I am always looking for a good project/ social time. Let me know when.
KP