Monday, October 20, 2008

Slow down, be prepared

Last night we were blessed.
Lee and I have had a rough week. We just needed a nice rest. About 7 last night we heard a loud explosion, followed by a flash of light and then no power. My first thought was to hit the ground. Lee went outside to check it out.... Keaton and I followed. Our older neighbor was outside in a panic, she was sure the explosion came from outside her bedroom window. Lee told me to run in and grab a cell to call 911. In not too much time all of Keatons dreams came true and we had a fire engine and a police car right at our house. Keaton and I watched as they started looking around. We also noticed that members of the Bishopric were going door to door making sure everyone was all right. I couldn't help but cry (pregnancy maybe?) as I pointed out to Keaton the good of the church in action.
Well, come to find out a transformer blew up. We would be without power until 11:30. Lee and I started searching for flashlights. We FINALLY found 2 little ones, and 2 candles. We really felt dumb that we were so unprepared. Lee then lighted a fire in our fireplace (our first real fire). Our little family just sat around and cuddled by the fire and talked for a couple of hours. It was so nice! About 9:00 the power came back on. Lee got right up, I was sad, I said, "Lee can't we just turn out the lights and enjoy this a little more?" Lee said that is what he got up for. We enjoyed our fake power outage for another hour. Lee and I both commented on how that was the nicest "day of rest" we have had in a long time.
This morning when Keaton woke up he started turning out all the lights. I asked him what he was doing, he said, "making it so we can have a fire". I think we all needed the break from life.

6 comments:

Deja said...

I like that thought of you guys gathered around the fireplace, pretending not to have power. I'm glad it turned out to be a pleasant evening.

Amara said...

I TOLD you a "catastrophe" was coming! :) Nice you have a fireplace. I was just talking to Meesha about how practical that is in an emergency.

Cygnus said...

Hi Mrs. Ree!!! you don't know me ... yet. You soon will. :)

See, Lee and I were roommates in college. He had actually sent us an invite to your wedding, but we couldn't make it because I was out of town that day, and I think I flew in at like 7:30 that night or something. Whatever. We missed it. We suck.

Does he still listen to nothing but Boston? :)

We're going to organize a BBQ as soon as we can. That might prove to be a little difficult because the other of our little party has a ridiculous work schedule. Rob (my brother in law and former roommate as well) works something like 65-70 hours a week. But trust you me ... we're going to work out something!

Now ... in response to your blog post:

We had a similar experience a couple of months ago. We were driving back from my parents in law's place. When we pulled into our town, we could immediately see that there wasn't any power ANYwhere. So we drove around to see who did have power for a bit (mostly just to ensure that our girls were asleep and we wouldn't have to fight them to get them into bed). Once we got home, we put the girls in bed, broke out the emergency lanterns, a deck of cards and sat around playing and talking for a few hours. It was great. My wife said it was the best night we had had in months. Sadly, I think she's right. We need more "power outage time." I like that your super-awesome hubby thought it was a good idea to continue the outage. That's cool.

Okay, now that I've totally bored your eyes out of their sockets, I'll leave you in peace. For now. :) Good to meet you, Mrs. Ree!!!

Meeshab said...

That happened 2 x in Tooele. (I think they had some problems) As soon as you described the loud bang and lights out, I knew. It is fun, I aggree.

Meeshab said...

I forgot to say. I Loooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the picture of you and Keaton. He doesn't need to be looking at the camera, he is looking at you. That is way more cool. love it!

lesley said...

Crazy! Is that related at all to the other power problems you had? I'm glad it worked out to be a good thing in the end.