Sunday, January 4, 2009

Bran Muffins (6 weeks)

My Mother-in-law made these. This was the first time I got a good "sugars" reading for breakfast without meds. I ate it with a slice of ham and a Clementine. I think all the fiber balanced everything out. They are really good. This makes a huge batch. It is from a make a mix book she has she used when Lee was a kid. It makes 60 muffins. You make the mix and it actually gets better with time in the fridge. She then can make 1/2 doz for Sunday breakfast for 6 weeks (my own feeling is I wouldn't push it over a month but I am a little paranoid even though the book says they are fine for 6 weeks).
Combine:
1 C. oil
1 C. sugar

add:
4 eggs beaten
1 quart Buttermilk

Boil:
2 C. water
then add:
4 C. whole bran cold cereal (All-Bran)
Take off heat and let sit for 5 min.

Mix:
2 C. 40% bran flakes (Raisin bran is good, remove raisins)
1Tbsp Salt
5 tsp. baking soda
3 C flour
2 C Whole wheat flour (I am sure you could do all whole wheat although I would only do 4 1/2 C total since whole wheat absorbs more liquid).

You can add raisins each time you cook them (although they are great without).
Cook for 15 to 20 minutes at 400.

6 comments:

The Firths said...

Hope you are feeling good... Please let us know what we can do, if anything...

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Those look fantastic!

Amara said...

Those look good, but I'm hoping to just bring them down to one batch. I guess just simple division right? Thanks for the recipe.

belann said...

I'm glad the numbers were good. Eat more bran.

Max Fam said...

do these not require any baking powder or soda? I made them from the Pimp My Dinner blog and they are a bit flat, I just want to make sure I didn't miss something. Thanks! I'll just check back for comments.

Kira said...

EEK!!! FIVE teaspoons of BAKING SODA!!!! I am SO sorry!!!!