Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Tempted


About a year and a half ago I stepped down from a very good career to be my kids Mom full-time. I have LOVED every moment of it. I made as much as Lee so we took a 50% pay cut to make it happen. Things have been tight. Many things we used to see as necessities are now not so much. Lee has worked hard racking up overtime to keep us afloat. I have still audited and ran the major office for my company about 10-15 hours a week (2 nights) to make ends meet. I have never had any regrets. I have been offered many positions to come back to full-time. I have always easily respectfully declined.
Tonight was different. Lee and I have had a rough couple of months. His company has cut off overtime until the end of January. I was on audit hiatus through the holidays. Things have been tight. Tonight my boss offered me my dream job at a salary that would more then DOUBLE our current annual income. I would also get my 5 weeks vacation back, and I would get disability pay when I have this baby. To say I didn't think about it would be a lie. I thought about the glamour of the position. I thought about the 4 potty accidents Keaton had yesterday. I thought about the travel we used to be able to do all the time. I thought about the never ending laundry and my horrible wardrobe. I thought about not robbing Peter to pay Paul. I thought about being able to get a years food storage. I thought about financial security in an unsure time.
I then had this picture pop up of Keaton taking a bath his favorite way (see above), nice and long with goggles so he can say "presenting Keaton Palmer, here I dive into the water!". I thought about eating breakfast at such a leisurely pace Keaton can entertain me with a story or two. I thought about the swimming lessons we are currently doing and the Kindermusik we just finished. I thought about our walks to the library where Keaton tells me about stuff. I thought about the PAIN I went through as I took Keaton to daycare for a year and a half. I thought about yesterday when we forgot to read our family scriptures and Keaton brought me the book and asked me to read. I thought about the naps I can occasionally steal cuddled up with Keaton. I then thought about all that times 2. I would miss it all with our little baby too.
I declined. Maybe you think me a fool, maybe for someone else that is not the right call. For me it is. I think Lee summed it up best when he said, "let it go Babe, that is not what you are called to do right now". What a wonderful life I live.

15 comments:

Deja said...

That made me cry. I'm sure you'll be blessed for the sacrifices you're making. Seems like you already are.

jamirodana said...

You are strong Kira! I was going to say, "take it and Lee can stay home". hahaha.
You know what your family needs and you chose well. You will be blessed.
Let me know when you want to switch off babysitting again. We should try to do it once a month atleast:)
Let me know if I can do anything for you too.

Amara said...

Yay Kira! You are awesome. I'd be tempted too. It will all work out though. The thing is, they can't pay you enough to compensate for the loss of those moments. Hey, maybe Tia would let you put stuff in her etsy shop to sell :)

Linda said...

I agree with Deja...you will be blessed! When I quit I was amazed how the lord helped us! Your committment to your family is awesome!

Anonymous said...

That's a huge temptation. You brought me to tears by the end. I'm so glad you followed your mother-heart.

And I'd love to come take photos of the new babe. No charge.

Tif said...

Good for you Kira. You did the right thing. Someone else can do the other job, but only you can be a mother to your two precious children! Hang in there. The Lord will bless you and things will work out.

belann said...

You will never regret it.

The Firths said...

I am right there with you! Motherhood is one of the hardest jobs, with the least tangible pay, but soo worth it.

Jen

Amy said...

So sweet. These are the biggest decisions we can make, and it seems like they have the greatest potential for reward. I'm glad you feel good about your decision. :)

Thanks for commenting on my blog, consider yourself officially blog-stalked now. :)

lil megan said...

what a great blessing it is to be a mom, even though some days we are "tempted" to run away, even if it is to go to work. But you put it well how much would we miss if we did just that. The lord knows what he has in store for each of us, and I think you are doing just that. Keep up the good work and enjoy the up coming arrival of that new little one. It was good to see you the other day, I hope all is well for you guys.

Unknown said...

With tears in my eyes, I'll try typing this. I have this battle all the time. You and I are so blessed to have such wonderful supportive husbands in our lives...and the most adorable kids to match! Your strength is so inspiring! Thank you for being such an incredible friend and example! I love you!

The Firths said...

This was the first time I had read this. You are awesome! I can't believe you'll regret this.

Pretty Organizer said...

You know the rest of the story... you refuse the position, you have some tragic moment when you think you'll be living on food stamps forever and decide that the tithing should be paid instead of eat your last meal... then the blessings pour out. Lee's job triples in pay, someone offers to clean your house for free forever, your kids are all inducted into the "smartest kids in the world hall of fame" and Oprah decides to invite you on for a makeover, lifetime wardrobe giveaway and funds your kids college AND family trips until they're out of the house! Hang in there... it's all about to come true!

I think I'll start collecting something just to display it as fun as the pics on my blog! Yes... the spoon collection. Do you think one of my brothers will fight me for those? I need to add on to my house to properly display them!

Andy and Kimi said...

So beautifully said Kira. I am bawling and I'm so happy for you. You will be blessed for your sacrifices!!

RejoicingComet said...

Way to go! I know sometimes it's got to be a difficult decision to stick to, especially in today's society, but as someone who was always glad my mom chose to stay home, I'd like to say that it's worth it and I applaud you (and all other stay at home moms!). Someday when I'm a mom, y'all are going to be my inspiration to stay home, too!