Monday, January 19, 2009


Today as we were leaving Costco I decided to tell Keaton about Martin Luther King and why we celebrated him today. Growing up in San Diego MLK day was a much bigger deal. I went to a High School where I was the minority. My hair that in Utah is brown was blond among my peers. I sat at lunch with people of dozens of nationalities. I was exposed to many different cultures and my best friend of all time was black.
I started telling Keaton the battle that the black people went through for equal rights. I kept it very simple telling him that some people thought that if you had brown skin you shouldn't share the same drinking fountain, the same school, or the same church. I told him how King worked to change that. I started crying (I am sure partly prego hormones). It really felt that power of that great man that stood up for what was right and did it peacefully.
This week we will have our first black President (my MIL is quick to tell me he is only 1/2 black.... I don't think it makes much of a difference). I am AMAZED how far we have come as a country to judge by the content not by the color. I have to say I did not vote for him. Having said that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE what my Blog friend Michelle wrote about today. PLEASE check it out. You will love it too (regardless of political or religious persuasion). Here is the link . Leave her a comment and let her know if it touched you too.
May we all try this year as everyone we know is struggling through their own trials to judge less, and lift more.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kira! I really hesitate to get political on my blog and I'm relieved and glad that it rang true.

xoxo, m

belann said...

I'm glad you are teaching Keaton about prejudice while he is young. Perhaps he will grow up without that handicap.

For His Glory said...

Hi Kira, I came across your blog while trying to look you up. I know it's been like 17yrs?? I wanted to get in touch with you and see how you are. I selected the follow up comments to my email I hope you can see it. Write me back if you would please. Thanks Anita Anderson.

Kira said...

WOW, I am SHOCKED! Anita- I clicked on your profile and did not see an e-mail. Maybe you will check back here or maybe THIS forwards to your account (I am a novice). It was good to see you are doing so well on your profile. You can contact me on my personal e-mail it is my maiden name (make sure the last name is spelled correctly) @comcast.net
P.S. Send me an invite to see your blog. I would LOVE to check it out.

For His Glory said...

Hi, I think I emailed you. Hope I got it right. Also sent a link to me Blog. Let me know.

The Firths said...

Very nice posts. It was interesting to reference what we were talking about when Rachel and I came down. I completely agree with everything and hope I can lift where I stand.