Sunday, February 1, 2009

Embrace the Bowl

Lee and I met in March. We were married that August. One of my most shocking moments came at his Mom's shortly after our wedding. I remember it clear as day. His Mom and I were standing in the kitchen. Somehow we got onto football. I mentioned how pleased I was to find someone who didn't really care about football. She nearly chocked on her water. I heard chuckling coming from his brothers at Lee's naive new bride.
How could I have been so dumb? How come we discussed everything....money, kids, religion, but I failed to ask his feelings on football?
We met "off-season" and that first year I prayed for him to change :)
I grew up in a home where watching football was the same as shopping on Sunday. You were causing other people to break the Sabbath and it kept you from doing more Sabbath type things. The "Bowl" never played on our little 13" TV we had at home. We never watched any football. I think it was a good thing there were 3 girls first in our family to help pave the way. Lee grew up farming with 3 older brothers (and 2 great sisters)..
Over the years Lee has come a long way. That first year EVERY game was on our TV. He watched from the kickoff to the bitter end. I did not. Over the years he has changed his thinking a bit. He has tried to watch with moderation only those games that are really important to him. Over the years I have changed in that I let him have his little vice and thank God he is not out chasing women or booze :) I have even become a fan of the Super Bowl. While my brother Garret lived near us and even last year when he came to watch it with Lee we would have a nice little party. I loved to sit and visit with his wife and have horrible fattening food, all in the name of marriage harmony. This year Garret didn't come, we were a bit sad (when the Chargers fell out football became dead to Garret :). We also have all been sick. Lee watched the game anyway. I even made a dip for some chips for him and we had sugar free root beer floats. I din't feel any anger, in fact I am THRILLED to see the bowl here. It symbolizes the official end of football season :) It symbolizes extra time we can use to do stuff together and visit with family. It reminds me how Lee is so good to put up with all my vices 365 days a year. It reminds me how much I love his company. It reminds me as Lee and Keaton shout "DEFENSE" together how close they are. I guess it is all not too bad.

10 comments:

Amy said...

Way to see the silver lining! :)

Lucky for me I really did marry a man who doesn't care for football at all. That sure doesn't stop us from eating fattening food though....

Unknown said...

Kira! You're so cute and have such a tender heart. I grew up opposite...Football was a 2nd religion to my Dad and brothers. So, for me it's not such an issue when Steven watches his games. Though I have to say that Football really puts me to sleep and always has. Something about the lull of the noise, I think. I can't wait until Isaac is big enough to watch him cheer those players on, too. HOW ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!

belann said...

Lee has so many wonderful qualities. It's good you can accept his love of football as just part of him.

Deja said...

I like the part about you telling his mom you were glad he didn't like football. Lovely.

Amara said...

I couldn't even look at this until today --I was worried it was a spoiler for us (you know our crazy tradition). Sounds like a good marriage to me!

Kira said...

For anyone interested....Amara is a better wife then me. Her hubbie also loves the Super Bowl but he does not watch Sports on Sunday. For 10 years they have had the whole family wake up Monday morning at 4am and they watch it together before Jeff goes to work and someone spoils it. My sister makes the treats and the whole deal. The kids love it.
P.S. They also don't answer their phones Sunday night so no one can ruin it....it is OUR tradition to TRY :)

jamirodana said...

Oh man, what a game it was too!!
That is a funny story about you and Lee's mom:) hahahaha.
I do agree though...."football in moderation."
In fact, any sport on tv in moderation.......except when the Lakers are playing. WooHoo!

Amy said...

At least you get an off season. When Football is finished then there is Basketball. I think it ends up being 1 month where neither is on. Doug loves College sports though, anything BYU so we usually go to some random event or watch it on TV. Oh well, I knew what I was getting at least, so I guess I can't complain too much!

Pretty Organizer said...

You have vices??? What?? Really??? When???

We just decided to ride on Amara's coat tails and begin the tradition of 4am Moday Superbowl... only... well... we didn't have a working machine (and no DVR or cable) to tape it with. Poor Miles... He's our genetic miracle athlete... he was upset.

Great Post!

The Firths said...

That was awesome! I don't know that I knew he was footballer... I must not have noticed in Logan!

I like your perspective. That was just a great post.