Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Cherry U-pick

We went last weekend to the Columbia River Temple. Lee and I tag teamed it with the kids. I went while he watched the kids then he went in. It felt so good to go to the Temple. It had been awhile and we were really thrilled we finally made it happen. I can't lie, part of it was just being alone and being able to think without interruption was probably a big part of the appeal :)


On our way home we stopped at Bill's Berry Farm. That is my new favorite place. They have a huge u-pick farm and we hit it just right for the Cherry Day's festival. They had Hot Cherry Doughnuts (I don't know how we resisted but we did), a FREE petting zoo, and a big play set. The highlight for my kids though honestly was getting to pick their own cherries and put them in their very own bucket.


Keaton liked the hay ride out to the Cherry Grove (please be sure to note the big old fry sauce stain on his shirt....SOMEDAY I will learn to pack an extra pair of clothes for my kids....sigh).
After a brief training they were off.


Lee showing Savannah how dark of cherry's she should look for.


Savannah picking the "pink" ones because they were "pretty"....sigh.


Savannah playing on the huge playset.

I have to admit they picked Van cherries, they were not my favorite. They had a 1/2 dozen other cherries to sample and buy for $1.75 a pound. My FAVORITE cherry was the Chelan Cherry. If you see them in the store you will need to get a pound or 4 :) The "pink" van cherries I mixed with Strawberries and made jam. The rest of the cherries we gorged ourselves on for days. Bill's Berry Farm ships to stores as far as China (can you imagine?!?!?). We loved our day on the farm and we think we are going to have to go back this weekend to pick our fill of Blueberries!



7 comments:

Launie said...

Mmmm! Cherries! I will have to watch for Bill's Berry Farm at the store! Sounds like a fun day out.

Amara said...

Remember picking apples? Aplle pie and apple fritters, apple cake and apple ....whitters? Whatever. I wish we had cherries here instead. The store ones are crap still.

Amara said...

And yay for getting the verification word thing taken off.

Team Jensen said...

OH MAN! I'm still waiting for the ones here to be ready for picking! I bought a big pack at Costco last weekend and have been gorging on them myself. Then at work yesterday after eating a big bag of them was still hungry and ate a fiber one bar....uh, yeah. BAD idea! They taste incredible, still!!!! Oh, you're making my mouth water...I better go eat some cherries now.

Anonymous said...

I like cherries. We got a 25 lb box of peaches with our Bountiful basket last week. Erin wants to can some of them, any references on how to do it?

Deja said...

I had my first cherries of the season today. I wish I had picked them myself, but they were still yummo. Savannah's little smile is the best.

belann said...

There's a lot to be said for Yakima, and one of them is the availability of great local produce. Perfect, in my opinion.